In vino veritas!
December 10, 2016Posted by on
This week on Facebook: I thought that with Christmas approaching, a week of the viniferous might be appropriate be you a vinologist or simply vinose and without a tendency to vinolence. Did you know that there are actually wine days celebrated throughout the year? I don’t know them all but I’m sure that I don’t miss any.
I was comforted to read the report that a glass of red wine equates to an hour at the gym (although I suspect that people who go there probably spend more time at the bar than on the bars).
Buying wine to drink now may seem an obvious remark to make, but there are folk who buy wine to lay down wine in their cellar. Not having a cellar and not being able afford — or commit to — such luxury I drink the wine that I buy. Buying wine, especially from wine clubs and supermarkets, can be a hit and miss affair. Searching the internet for some useful advice to share with — essentially — the vinose, turned out to be much harder than expected.
Oh! I’ve cheated by posting two articles each day — all linked to some more information that if you don’t find useful, I certainly do. This week is intended as a potpourri of links for all wine drinkers and my contribution to Christmas.
- Where to buy wine online: An interesting article and if you prefer white wine the link below may be useful. It’s also interesting to note that for champagne socialists — their choice of wine supersedes their politics.
- A White Wines List To Help You Decide: Everything you wanted to know about white wine but were afraid to ask!
- How To Buy Wine At The Supermarket That’s Not Disgusting: At last something I need to know! One thing the expert below isn’t saying is that if the wine is really cheap it may still be worth a punt [as long as it’s in a plastic bottle] and you can always use it for cooking if it’s disgusting.
- An expert’s guide to buying wine at the supermarket: Buying wine at a supermarket or your local off-licence can be a minefield. With shelves and shelves worth of bottles, many with labels in foreign languages and industry jargon, it’s a lot easier to get things wrong than it is to get things right.
- How To Buy A Good Red Wine For Under £10: Something that I really need to know!
- A Glass Of Red Wine Is The Equivalent To An Hour At The Gym: Now that’s my kind of study result.
- The Pros and Cons of Red, White, and Bubbly: If you don’t currently drink, the health benefits of wine are no reason to start. Remember to drink responsibly too!
- Red Wines vs. White Wines: Which Bottle Should You Pick? Even though wines are beneficial to your health, they should not be consumed excessively.
- Jamie Goode’s online wine magazine: Well worth a visit to this site.
- And finally Jamie’s take on degustation:
I shall take a break next week (well sort of), I’ve become rather preoccupied with the theme set by The Creative Writing Group for December. If like me, you haven’t dabbled at creative writing before:
You may find that as you sip a glass
In vino there is some veritas.